Old January 1st 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default DT Swiss RR 1.1 rims?

Derk who? writes:

As Jobst pointed out, they only have single-wall eyelets, which may be a
valid concern.

Why? I haven't heard of problems with these rims yet. Have you?

We read reports of rims developing cracks around eyelets often on this
forum. Many riders do not recall when heavier deep-V aero rims were
rare and most good rims had sockets AND eyelets. Aero rims showed
that spokes hanging in a deep-V on a narrow thick bed did not crack
rims. Subsequently spoke sockets have vanished from nearly all other
rims and now they crack. We don't have any user reports of durability
of these or similar new rims as they become available but there is no
indication why they should be immune to cracking, considering that
they do not have thicker walls. Besides, they are anodized which can
accelerate cracking.

Jobst Brandt