Old September 17th 10, 12:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Why wooden rims are superior to carbon fibre reinforced plastic rims

On Sep 17, 8:58*am, Andre Jute wrote:
On Sep 16, 7:51*pm, "MikeWhy" wrote:

See:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsaMb7Wuinw

I actually looked into getting bamboo of a quality suitable for making
a bike and it was basically no-go. The available stuff all looked like
scaffolding rejects, or if strong enough was way too big. Guy in one
of those former Iron Curtain countries made a carbon bike and then a
bamboo bike, both successful, but he wrote later that -- after so much
trouble getting decent bamboo -- if he did it again, he would grow his
own! -- AJ

I thought bamboo was a member of the grass family. Is the material
really classified as wood?

I know a 75 year old ex track rider who's got a few wooden rims still
hanging in his garage that he used to race on. My brother's got one
too I think. Don't know that he's ever ridden it though.

JS.