Old March 26th 11, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

Default ???Long wheelbase + Balloon tyres + Underinflation = Understeer???

On 3/25/2011 5:02 PM, Doug Cimper wrote:
On 3/25/2011 3:09 PM, wrote:
[...]
The long wheel base results in a more balanced load between tires. In
a short wheelbase diamond frame, as much as 80% of the weight is in
the rear. But a LWB recumbent will be much closer to a 50% split, so
turning will increase the friction requirements in front resulting in
easier front tire skids.

[...]
As for LWB recumbents, I assure you probably none manage to get a 50-50
weight distribution, my own is observed to be more like 33%F-66%R. Since
most of your weight is in your torso, only a big-sized LWB with a very
small rider would come close to 50-50. Some of the short-wheelbase bikes
hit very close to 50-50 with a normal-sized rider, if you feel it's
worthwhile.

My LWB RANS Tailwind has the weight far enough to the rear that I can do
"power wheelies" when starting out. I also have had the front wheel
lift slightly when climbing steep hills on my SWB RANS Rocket (a lower
gear for smoother spinning would help here).

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.