Old April 17th 21, 01:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Default I am that out of date

Mark cleary wrote:
The local bike shop needs a mechanic they called me about doing some work
for them. They knew I could build wheels and repair them and the manger
of shop knows me. Well I go in to discuss things and they said most all
the work they do is on disk brake bikes. That surprised me although they
are a Trek Dealer. They definitely need a wheel person the shop manager
is the only one who can really rebuild a wheel and probably my take only
he could true them decent. That sounds pretty off for a Trek shop.

Then I told them I happen to have Shimano 6800 and was good with Shimano
and Campy/Shram I did not work on much but not hard to figure out. They
seem cool to the fact that I would figure it out pretty quick. But the
guy mentions my 6800 is old stuff hard to get parts. I told him I road
Titanium and still always want BSA thread BB on my bikes. He laugh but
agreed at least TI was good and nothing wrong with rim brakes. I was just
totally surprised they find 6800 old? Do folks ever ride bikes for a few
years before buying another or junking?

Finally I told him I could not tell him if I wanted the job until after
the weekend. He wants 3 days a week 10-6pm. I cannot do weekends the
deacon works. Then the wild thing I am discerning if I want to pursue the
priesthood with further study. If the Bishop gives me a dispensation on
some formation requirements.....then? I don't want to work 3 days.

Finally I guess if you buy a bike it is outdate after 2 years? Granted
mine is 4 but wow I was taken back by what he said.
Deacon Mark

Depends on type of bike shop. My local is mostly repairs, lots of commuter
use it, I have never had a problem with parts being hard to get on any of
the bikes I have.

The other is a much swisher place that has coffee etc and somewhere you can
or could pre COVID19, can’t sell me disk brake pads on 2 out of my 3 bikes
as they are a very common but older type!

Roger Merriman.