Old April 24th 21, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default I am that out of date

On Fri, 23 Apr 2021 16:03:16 -0700 (PDT), "

Incidentally, if you need a good laugh, look at what's being offered
by the industry as the next big thing in fashion:
https://wwd.com
https://wwd.com/wwd-publications/digital-daily/thursdays-digital-daily-april-22-2021/
Hint: The next big thing in fashion is usually what the fringe
elements of society are currently wearing.

Have you seen any internet stories about what Hollywood people are wearing?
I think I have seen them wearing G string bikini things where their whole butt
is visible and some with little pieces of metal the size of quarters covering
their breasts. And things on their heads that would make a peacock envious.
I'm not exactly sure the word "conservative" is applicable.

I don't have any inside information on what Hollyweird or the fashion
industry is offering. It's not difficult to guess what it might be.
Just look at what the counter-culture or anti-social groups are
wearing. For example, tattoos have been rather fashionable for years.
The more elaborate the design, the better. So, the fashion industry
offers clothes with computer generated designs vaguely resembling
tattoos. Fortunately, I don't think that tattoo style clothing is
going to sell very well. For a while, it was fashionable for men to
dress as they had just been released from jail. During the first and
2nd gulf wars, there were some short lived promotions of military
style clothing. Work clothes are always interesting in that they sell
best to those who have performed very little physical labor in their
lives. I'm sure if I could recall some more examples if I had a few
more hours of sleep.

Hollywood is well positioned to contrive and maintain a fashion trend.
When Disney bought most of the entertainment industry, they
immediately turned product branding into a major money maker:
https://blog.hollywoodbranded.com/real-world-brands-through-product-placement-in-zootopia-infographic
Clothing is a big part of product placement, where the wardrobe of the
major starts were expected to create a fashion trend and bring huge
sales to the sponsors. For example, the Dr Strange movie had many
references and plugs for wrist watches, which was losing sales to
smartphones. It was almost as if Benedict Cumberbatch was there
solely to display his wrist watch and drawer full of watches, to the
audience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDmjjrP-ofY
However, Marvel screwed up by featuring ultra-expensive wrist watches
that the viewing public was unlikely to buy. Oh well.

As for some of the weird clothing appearing in movies and WWD, they're
most something for clothing designers and fashion makers to stay busy
between fads, mostly showcasing the abilities of the designers rather
than producing anything worth buying. Creativity for hire or
something similar.

The bicycling industry is far from immune to chronic overdoses of
creativity. We have "concept designs" which are futuristic bicycles
that are often barely rideable, difficult to manufacture, impossible
to ship, and usually end up costing too much. Never mind
repairability as they typically are not ridden long enough to need
repair.
https://www.google.com/search?q=concept+bicycle&tbm=isch
https://www.thecoolist.com/custom-bicycle-concepts-10-amazing-bikes-of-the-future/
https://www.yankodesign.com/tag/bicycle/ (27 pages)
https://www.pinterest.com/muskegmike/bicycles-of-concept/
Mo
https://www.google.com/search?q=concept+bicycle&hl=en
So, why bother with concept bicycles? While none of the concept
designs are ready to sell and ride, they all have ideas that can be
borrowed and grafted onto mainstream bicycles. New ideas also need to
be tested. Many times, experiments in new materials, geometry, and
technology result in something unexpected and useful. If a concept
geometry doesn't fit neatly into the various cycling sub-activities,
it doesn't take much to invent a new activity to fit. For example,
gravel bicycles.

I could go on forever with such rants, but I'll be merciful and stop
here.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272