Old April 24th 21, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default I am that out of date

On 4/24/2021 2:25 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

The bicycling industry is far from immune to chronic overdoses of
creativity. We have "concept designs" which are futuristic bicycles
that are often barely rideable, difficult to manufacture, impossible
to ship, and usually end up costing too much. Never mind
repairability as they typically are not ridden long enough to need...

So, why bother with concept bicycles? While none of the concept
designs are ready to sell and ride, they all have ideas that can be
borrowed and grafted onto mainstream bicycles. New ideas also need to
be tested.

I suspect people bother with "bold, innovative concept" bicycles because
they just got out of some Industrial Design degree program and want to
show they can think "out of the box" better than the next guy with an
Industrial Design degree. I doubt more than 1% of those designs or their
features are ever seriously considered for production.

--
- Frank Krygowski