Old June 1st 21, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Electric Bikes

On 2021-06-01, Lou Holtman wrote:
On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 4:36:04 PM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 7:51:59 PM UTC-7, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Mon, 31 May 2021 17:04:39 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

The ebike is not going the way of the Hula Hoop, Silly Putty, Slinkies or YoYos
E-bike makers will be sad to hear that. All those toys are available
at big-box stores.
My point is that ebikes will not sky rocket and crash, which was my sense of those toys -- although I haven't looked at sales numbers. Are YoYos still big?

-- Jay Beattie.

Come and look here. No they don't gonna crash. It is the new normal here.

Lou

Yes, becoming very popular here in Santa Cruz, as well.

The effect I felt when I installed my (now-defunct) Elation 250W mid-drive
kit is that I was working just as hard (or not) as usual but that it just
gave me two extra gears. eg: 3rd gear instead of 1st on a known climb, 7th
gear instead of 5th on flat, etc.

Plus you have the option of arriving at a meeting in time, without
exuding an athlete's stench and without sweat stains on your shirt.

The game changer, of course, is the Li ion technology since if was so easy
for uninformed users to kill off their lead acid battery pack.

Li-Ion also has its issues. For example, even top brand manufacturers do
not seem to understand that it is not a good idea to top off a Li-Ion
battery at close to 100% charge and then leave the bike in the garage
that way. This results in premature aging and loss of capacity. The
smarter way is to offer 80% or so which is plenty for a short ride into
town. Then let users top it off in the morning when they expect to go on
a very long ride. In the same way, don't ride it all the way down to
where the low-batt cutoff turns it off, at least not often.

NiMH would be more robust, but that chemistry never seemed to catch on
before Lithium came on the scene.

NiMH doesn't have an adequate energy density. A NiHM-battery that can
last 40-50mi would be unreasonably large and heavy.

[...]

pH in Aptos

Is the old stranded concrete ship still there?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/