Old July 18th 04, 09:57 AM
ritcho

Default Hand built wheels

For once, I actually used my own hands! I proved that any klutz can put
wheels together and make them work.

Ingredients:
CXP33 rims (silver - to match the bike)
32h Ultegra hubs
14/15/14 dt spokes
brass nipples

Tools
Spoke key, flat blade screwdriver, Minoura rim trainer (in place of
truing stand), some light household oil.

I just followed the directions at www.sheldonbrown.com

Getting the dishing right is easy if you have a wheel that is already
ok. Set the bike with the good wheel in the rim trainer so that one
side is lined up on one of the (opened) rollers. Next, swap out with
the new wheel and start truing the wheel in situ using the rim
trainer's roller and the bike's rear brake as the dishing guide.

The tricky bit was figuring out how tight to make the spokes - "As
tight as they will go without damaging the rim" is not very helpful for
a first timer. A tensiometer would have taken the fun out of it, as well
as costing lots of money. Sheldon's site suggested two ways - 1. the
nipple gets hard to turn (not very precise); 2. Guess around an A
(440Hz) for the pitch when the spokes are plucked. A primary school
recorder is an excellent tool for comparison as it is much more
portable than a piano. Combine the two ideas and you get a pretty tight
wheel.

Follow the instructions on stress relieving spokes and voila! Fresh
wheels that are lighter than my Shimano 535s and much easier to fix.
Hopefully, they'll be more reliable too.

I'm slow, so it took me about 3 hours of work for each wheel (F and
R).

If you haven't had a go at it, try it next time you want a new wheel.
If you have, then I can already hear the "I told you so"s

Cheers,
Ritch

--
ritcho