Old August 4th 03, 01:49 PM
Rick Onanian

Default Q. Will I benefit from different tire size or type?

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 21:34:08 -0500, A Muzi wrote:
of pavement anomalies. Keep the pressure up always but especially if you
go to a skinnier tire.

In fact, the reason to go to a skinnier tire, afaik, is to
be able to use a higher pressure.

I recall a thread that discussed rolling resistance; and
some studies or experiments or something determined that
all things being equal (pressure, tread, compound, bike,
rider, temp, humidity, etc), a wider tire actually has
less rolling resistance. The real-world result, however,
was that narrower tires had lower rolling resistance due
to the higher pressures you could use.

Does anybody else remember that? I don't think it was on
these rec.bicycles newsfroups, but I can't imagine where
it WAS if that's the case.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org