Old November 13th 03, 02:36 AM
Matt O'Toole

Default Stockpiling 110mm/74mm chainrings and cranks

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message

I'm not sure why 7-speed is more sensible than 8, or even 9.

I wouldn't seek them out specifically, but all else being equal (including
price), I wouldn't forsake a 7sp bike in favor of a newer one. 7sp gear was
more sensible in many ways.

First, 7sp wheels are stronger, because of less dish. Second, while it isn't as
silky-smooth, 7sp gear shifted more solidly and reliably -- probably because of
stronger derailer springs, and more cable pull.

Considering
that you cannot still get a better chain with 7-speed, more like the
chains of old that Jobst talks about, there is little advantage.

I don't know what you mean by "better," unless you have a chrome fetish. Here's
a perfectly good 7sp chain:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...ype=&estoreid=

(please pardon the long URL)

9-speed
stuff is dirt cheap,

7sp stuff is dirt cheaper. You can get old cassettes and chainrings on sale for
$15. And the chainrings work -- they're not as fussy about lateral spacing,
etc. Some modern stuff, like my 8sp LX, won't work without the *exact*
replacement -- brand, model, and year.

But most of all, 7sp *bikes* are cheap.

and lasts as long as any other.

I disagree with that too. 7sp cogs were thicker. Without the shaped and
shortened teeth, chainrings lasted longer.

Matt O.