Old July 12th 18, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default drill/tap in frames

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 8:05:59 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/12/2018 2:31 AM, sms wrote:
On 7/11/2018 8:43 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 17:24:40 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Exactly. Strong enough is strong enough.

OK, so let's pretend that the tube with the Rivnut bent at
10% less
tension. Is that "strong enough"? There's no way to tell
without the
original design calculations, or reverse engineering the
frame with an
FEA model. Too bad Autodesk killed their online
ForceEffect web app.
http://blogs.autodesk.com/inventor/2017/01/17/autodesk-forceeffect-family-retirement/

I think I could have modeled the problem using the program.

"Rivnuts are great for low stress areas, but they rely on
expanding in addition to crushing to grip the surrounding
material, therefore a rivnut will impose a tensile stress
around the hole which isn't good news since this will add to
any load stresses, not to mention the concentration effect
brucey speaks of.

I'm not sure there is any place on a bike frame that I'd be
happy to use them. Any time I've needed to attach something
it's been with a properly machined alloy 2-bolt clamp around
the tube with a thin [1mm] thick rubber shim between clamp
and tube."

Why then don't more airplanes fall out of the sky?

https://www.skygeek.com/rivnut-tool.html
http://spenceraircraft.com/hardware/...ivet-nuts.html

from that page:
" Our rivet nuts are manufactured to meet the National
Aerospace Standard. " So much for zero tolerance eh?

With a broken bicycle you could walk home!

The rivnut industry has been hiding the truth for almost a century. See this? https://tinyurl.com/yd5s33m9 Massive rivnut-related failure. Apollo 13? Rivnut. It is so much worse than you know.

-- Jay Beattie.