Old August 21st 09, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Converting Brake mounting bolt to recessed bolt?

On 2009-08-21, AMuzi wrote:

*someone wrote:
Cutting two lengths of tube is much easier than cutting and threading
an already hardened chromoly mounting bolt btw.

_ wrote:
I'd be interested in the source for this claim that Shimano N600 brake
bolts are
a) "chromoly"; and
b) hardened
of course, if it's of the nature of "my 'experience' says so, and I'm dead
clever, I am", that will get the weight it deserves.

I doubt they are CrMo and they are certainly not hardened
(having threaded them).

A related question: if a bolt is CrMo presumably that implies it's not
stainless and will therefore rust?

Depends on whether the bolt is plated. I have lots of bolts on my
bike that are definitely not stainless yet are not rusted. Rear
derailleur bolt, downtube boss bolts, seatbinder bolt, water bottle
cage bolts, chainring bolts, brake bolts, pedal axles. All are steel
and plated somehow and are not rusted.