Old August 22nd 11, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher[_2_]

Default Having the Elderly Ride Bikes

On 2011-08-22 16:55:02 +0000, "Jeff said:

As a matter of public policy, taking the car keys from seniors and
giving them a bike is probably not a good idea on several different
levels.

Having them ride a bike assumes they can keep their balance. Many
cannot. They use a cane or a walker, that they easliy can stow in the
back seat while driving.

It also assumes they can tolerate the physical exertion needed to
propel the bike. Many cannot. They use a cane or a walker, that they
easliy can stow in the back seat while driving.

It also assumes they only travel a few blocks, and never need to carry a load.

I believe that most seniors who don't ride, or haven't been riding,
would be a danger to themselves. It's not something they should take
up when they turn 65; you need to have been doing it for a while, and
in distances that are meaningful. A short ride for me is 15-20 miles,
depending on weather temps, and I ride at least 75 miles per week.

Yoga is also a good thing PROVIDED they have enough flexibility and
balance to get started. Both will improve with time, but only to a
certain degree. Again it comes down to how active the person has been
in their early years. I prefer Tai Chi.

Moral: Get, and stay, active in your early years. It's far easier to
keep what you have then try to gain what you don't when you're in your
sixties.

Or you'll end up a pencil-necked bass player.

Even if you start 10 years before actual retirement it should give a smooth transition. Bicycling can be hard or soft. Some elderly people I know ride trikes --where space is available. Currently most simply don't have an option.

They probably feel like vegetables unless they get moving. They will also be part of the solution --helping the planet-- not the problem. It would suck to be just another driver adding to the congestion and polluting.

Yeah. We have these Biking Clubs or whatever, ride our country side.
They are pretty athletic. At the end of the ride they have pick ups and
vans to pick them up. They are exhausted. the ride usually follows the
same 20 or so mile route. I bet they go home and mow the lawn.
The idea you expouse is that everyone should ride a bike to save energy,
which isn't in short supply, nor is it going to be but that is all you
can do.Ride 20 miles each way every day, in hills and flat land, in 100
degree heat, and do a day's work.
I know what hard work is. Grand Pa walked about 15 miles to work, in the
coal mines and back. Some days he stayed in shacks, at the mines.
You think Grand Pa is going to do that?

I believe in doing THE BEST YOU CAN. Not a mile more, no less. If you you got pickup trucks to complement the ride, then it ain't much benefit. The name of the game is not only saving energy but doing something good for the world, which is to avoid pollution.

Me, for example, should be using a car to launch the bikes. But I refuse, even if it costs me my life. Around my community is NO MAN'S LAND for cyclists, and so I insist on them opening bike facilities for me.