Old March 31st 18, 03:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default High visibility law yields no improvement in safety

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 8:24:59 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 3:48:52 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 11:23:18 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
https://www.bikebiz.com/news/hivis-compulsion-study

--
- Frank Krygowski

The article says "The study did not evaluate the clothing used by those involved in crashes." So I'm not sure what is being studied in this article. My state recently had a high visibility law proposed. It was defeated, or not voted on. It was for cyclists to wear high visibility, reflective clothing, at ALL times, day and night.

I tried to pull the study on LEXIS, but it is not published in a journal yet. I think the study just looked at accident rates pre and post-law. It apparently evaluated the success of the law rather than the success of conspicuous clothing.

That's the impression I got, too.

- Frank Krygowski