Old October 8th 17, 02:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default DRIVERLESS ELECTRIC CARS

On Saturday, October 7, 2017 at 8:08:00 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

It's highly likely that we're going to have driverless cars inflicted
upon the American public either the choice of government edict. My
guess(tm) is that such driverless cars will need to communicate with
each other and with some manner of central traffic authority via some
kind of mesh network. It's this network that controls which roadway
the vehicles will travel, distributes the traffic to prevent
bottlenecks, and hopefully helps prevent accidents. If bicycles are
going to continue riding on the same roads, they will need to check
into the same mesh network that will be used by cars, buses, trucks,
and such in order to be deemed safe.

Are you ready for the semi-self-driving-bicycle of the future? If
not, you might want to practice your hands free bicycle riding.

Jeff, I have no doubt that we will see self-driving cars on the road. Tesla already has a self driving feature.

But because of the number of older cars on the road they will not operate via intercommunications but the same way you and I drive - by sensing everything around us.

Will the government demand that everyone install a detector in their car so that self-driving cars can detect ahead of time that there is an asshole afloat in the sea of traffic? Do you really thing that hot-rodders are about to accept that? And from what I've seen of heavy traffic the worst drivers are those that appear to have the most money.

So it's more likely that a bicyclist will be in far less danger from self driving cars that work properly that from driven cars. But note the "work properly" component. I do not think that will occur.