Old March 18th 10, 11:35 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles,misc
DougC[_2_]

Default What abt crank forward bike like RANS?

On 7/29/2008 7:40 PM, Wilson wrote:

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

wrote in message
Age 50...... daily aches and pains

What's everyone think abt crank forward bikes like
these RANS models? Could you tour on one.... off road?

The short answer is no. They are no better than an upright for comfort
and infinitely worse than a recumbent. Either get a recumbent or
forget about it. Only a nut like Tom Sherman thinks they are an OK
bicycle. RANS really screwed up!

Crank forward bikes are for riding around the block - period! If you
want to tour off road, get a mountain bike.

Sounds to me as if it puts all your weight on your butt. Similar to a
"comfort bike" that's built for casual riding of an hour or less or
until you butt tells you to stop. If you want to tour get a Tour Easy
(recumbent) or an upright touring bike. Get a mountain bike for riding
hard pack gravel roads or Jeep trails.

I have a 2007 RANS Fusion.
It is not as comfortable as a recumbent, but it is still way nicer than
a regular bike. Also it still looks pretty normal, and is as easy to
ride as a regular upright bike. Everyone who has tried riding mine liked
it and found it easy to ride, though most gagged on the price.

I don't think that a 50-mile ride on it (at a casual pace) would not
bother me--but then, a 100-mile ride on a recumbent (also at a casual
pace) is no problem either.

.....As it happens I haven't been taking any really-long (~100-mile)
wandering rides since I got it.
~