Old September 8th 17, 07:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Taya Chain

On Thursday, September 7, 2017 at 7:21:56 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
I replaced the chain that I broke on Saturday with one I
had in my garage that I must have purchased five to ten
years ago.

It has a connecting link and it says "Taya" on it. It's for
6,7,8 gearing. It seems okay, but I think that this is the
first time I've used a chain with a connecting link since
childhood. I looked up Taya and it's a big Taiwanese chain
manufacturer.

I still have a Sachs-Sedis 7-speed chain on my road bike
which I bought from a friend as NOS, for $6 which was the old
sticker price (the sticker had already turned brownish). No
link, mounted with hammer and anvil as usual. To my utter
amazement it doesn't show any measurable stretch after over
2000mi and sometimes I really put the coals on because of our
hills. Even the old Wippermann chains could not rival that. I
am very religious about chain cleaning and lube though.

The old 5-6-7 speed Sachs chains wore out three days after the
bike was junked.

The Sedis (later Sachs-Sedis) material and Delta hardening
process was not only exceptional but unsurpassed down to today
except for possibly Record chains. That ended with SRAM.

Why is that? In the automotive world such an advance in technology
is kept and further developed, not rescinded and chucked back into
the dust bin. Well, usually.

Simple - the motor runs quieter, and consumers buy it more readily.
Hence we saw plastic teeth on timing gears.

And they make that last 100,000mi before a PM swap. That's what it says
in my SUV's manual and when the old belts came out they still looked
like new.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
After how many decades of ****ing off customers because the plastic teeth stripped off of the gears after 40K miles?

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums.../t-335969.html
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...-identify.html
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...placement.html
http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Engine/chains.htm

The GM V8 Delrin coat cam gear teeth do run quieter but do
indeed fail before a steel/steel set would. In my case about
80K miles. Replacement chain and gear set plus gaskets is
all relatively cheap. The exchange may be done in the car by
slacking the motor mounts and lifting the block a couple of
inches. Worst part of it is the timing cover to oil pan
joint. All in, about 3 hours- and that's out of doors
without prior experience of that particular job. i.e.,
serious but not overly daunting.

Yeah, I did it on the 85 chevy van I bought recently and it was much easier than on a dodge. Actually I think I was supposed to loosen the motor mounts but did not. But on a chrysler at least a smallblock you have to remove the intake too as it overlaps on top.

Worst part of it was that they failed after the warranty expired.