Old September 8th 17, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Taya Chain

On 2017-08-28 15:59, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/28/2017 4:28 PM,
On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
I replaced the chain that I broke on Saturday with one I
had in my garage that I must have purchased five to ten
years ago.

It has a connecting link and it says "Taya" on it. It's for
6,7,8 gearing. It seems okay, but I think that this is the
first time I've used a chain with a connecting link since
childhood. I looked up Taya and it's a big Taiwanese chain
manufacturer.

I still have a Sachs-Sedis 7-speed chain on my road bike
which I bought from a friend as NOS, for $6 which was the old
sticker price (the sticker had already turned brownish). No
link, mounted with hammer and anvil as usual. To my utter
amazement it doesn't show any measurable stretch after over
2000mi and sometimes I really put the coals on because of our
hills. Even the old Wippermann chains could not rival that. I
am very religious about chain cleaning and lube though.

The old 5-6-7 speed Sachs chains wore out three days after the
bike was junked.

The Sedis (later Sachs-Sedis) material and Delta hardening
process was not only exceptional but unsurpassed down to today
except for possibly Record chains. That ended with SRAM.

Why is that? In the automotive world such an advance in technology
is kept and further developed, not rescinded and chucked back into
the dust bin. Well, usually.

Simple - the motor runs quieter, and consumers buy it more readily.
Hence we saw plastic teeth on timing gears.

And they make that last 100,000mi before a PM swap. That's what it says
in my SUV's manual and when the old belts came out they still looked
like new.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
After how many decades of ****ing off customers because the plastic teeth stripped off of the gears after 40K miles?

The smaller Ford V6 uses rubber timing belts and they insist that you absolutely MUST replace them on 50,000 mile intervals or bye-bye motor. GMC apparently has a V8 that way. My stepdaughter's SUV broke a belt and exploded the motor - the mechanic told her not to replace the motor because the new one would do exactly the same thing.

They are not made of rubber. They are typically made of a combination of
neoprene and kevlar. It is true that the timing belt needs to be
replaced at periodic intervals.

My Ford has the larger V6 with a steel timing belt and they go just short of forever. These cars are advertised 5 years old and with 200,000 miles on them. People actually commute from Sacramento to San Francisco!

Some vehicles have had large numbers of timing chain failures resulting
in the destruction of the engine. The joke among mechanics is that when
a manufacturer states "a timing chain will last the life of the engine"
what they really mean is that "an engine will last the live of the
timing chain." Also, timing chains, like bicycle chains, eventually
stretch, and can jump a tooth.

Timing chains should also be replaced periodically, even though there is
no replacement schedule published.

---