View Single Post
Old May 21st 19, 06:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill
external usenet poster

Default “He just kept saying cyclists have the right of way. Well then, they should be paying road tax.”

On a /m^2 basis or road damage basis?

CIA

Part of the problem in the UK is that it has become fashionable for
people to move out of town into country areas and buy cars that are too
wide for the roads.

Someone needs to do a formal study on it to get the actual numbers but the reason they buy oversized cars in the U. S. is they are too fat to fit into a normal car.

Have you ever tried to wear a suit that's 2 - 3 sizes too small?

With my own informal observations I get a correlation coefficient of ~ 0.9 for the junk food in the shopping cart vs obesity relationship. Guessing not so wildly the correlation coefficient must be at least 0.8 for the obese driving oversize motor vehicles.

The commercial aircraft industry struggles in vain to get the lard off the runway. I feel sorry for Boeing, GE, Airbus, RR, Pratt, etc. No matter how big they make the fans the passengers just keep getting heavier.

It's getting more and more difficult to design a plane where the props or fans don't hit the runway. The engines are already almost as large as the fuselage. Sooner or later they will have to go VTOL with props designed to disintegrate on impact on emergency landings.

It's always somebody else's fault that there are
potholes on roads built in the 1920's and there isn't enough space to
park, overtake a cyclist or whatever.

Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home