Old May 21st 19, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Bottle holder

On Tue, 21 May 2019 10:26:46 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 5/21/2019 10:00 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

$12 for two straps? That seems rather expensive.

It is. But a kluge of cable ties and associated bits and pieces is not
going to work as well and by the time you buy all the parts you'll spend
more time cobbling it together.

What's there to cobble? Two saddle clamps and two cable ties. Quite
cheap and functional. I'll admit the exposed lumpy ends of the cable
ties do not meet the strict guidelines for elegant cycling, but they
are quite inexpensive, easily installed, and easily replaced. Cable
ties are viable in a variety of colors not found in nature. I believe
phosphorescent and glow in the dark colors are available.

There are also the Zefal Gizmo clamps
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSM1O1H and the Topeak Versa Mount
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077S5G4SL.

Here's a better Zefal mount:
https://www.amazon.com/Zefal-Gizmo-Iii-Universal-Mount/dp/B01K7T2JOI
I like the two cable ties per clamp idea. I don't like installing the
screws from the bottle cage side. If the supplied screw is used, it's
not long enough to drill through the plastic base and gouge the paint.
However, substituting a longer screw is risky. I prefer using nuts on
the bottle cage side.

Above all, don't use hose clamps!

Yep. I have some minor scars on legs from the stainless strap.

And don't drill holes in the frame for Rivnuts.

Ummm... that's a religious issue. So far, no consensus or winner in
sight.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D