Old May 21st 19, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default “He just kept saying cyclists have the right of way. Well then, they should be paying road tax.”

On 21/05/2019 17:16, Bret Cahill wrote:
On a /m^2 basis or road damage basis?

CIA

Part of the problem in the UK is that it has become fashionable
for people to move out of town into country areas and buy cars
that are too wide for the roads.

Someone needs to do a formal study on it to get the actual
numbers but the reason they buy oversized cars in the U. S. is
they are too fat to fit into a normal car.

Once upon a time American and European cars were a different size.
European cars were a better fit for European roads.

Have you ever tried to wear a suit that's 2 - 3 sizes too small?

The useful interior of a car doesn't correlate with the outside
dimensions. When cars did not have central locking and it was
possible for the driver to reach across to operate the passenger
door lock. Most of the extra width has just put more air between
driver and passenger.

That may be true in part, but they are mostly concerned about how
they look the 3 seconds required getting into and out of the vehicle.
Once they are in or out it doesn't matter much.

Well it can matter... the seat in my previous car was obviously designed
for people that bring their own upholstery; it had side bolsters which
no part of me touched when sitting centrally and it gave me back ache
from trying to stop myself from sliding around. Being a slim, agile
cyclist, a Lotus/Caterham 7 would be sufficient for me so the entry/exit
issue doesn't really cross my mind.

I would have thought it better to have taller, narrower bodywork, like
cars from the 20's, to give a bigger door aperture when the opening is
restricted between parked cars. Include suicide doors - I am sure they
can be made safe enough these days.