Old June 16th 19, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Feeling strong

On Sunday, June 16, 2019 at 5:37:50 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, June 16, 2019 at 12:11:33 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, June 16, 2019 at 11:15:00 AM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, June 16, 2019 at 5:34:04 AM UTC-7, db wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 22:31:34 -0700, wrote:

On Sunday, June 9, 2019 at 4:06:14 AM UTC-5, db wrote:
Some days, on my way to work, it all feels great, I zoom along,
the bike responds beautifully, I feel strong today, wow. Then I
realise, I've got a tail wind.

--
Dieter Britz

Hmmmm???? I can honestly say I have never ever not known I have a
tailwind and think I'm going fast because I am strong. I always know
exactly what the wind is doing and know whether it is a positive,
negative, or neutral effect.

Straight man

--
Dieter Britz

Yesterday's ride.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAaHz6ns1aI Go to 1:06. The problem with light bikes in high winds. Minus wind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAjNIkTOLVs Yesterday the wind was maybe 5mph -- brutal, and tourist traffic was surprisingly low for a sunny day. The somewhat great thing about the ride is that the cross-county part is now mostly on rail-trails, so I get to skip the glass-strewn roads though the mullet region of east Portland. The trails do accumulate homeless in places, but I get to stay off major roads until just outside bustling Troutdale, doormat of the Columbia River Gorge. https://www.restreets.org/sites/defa...utdaleICON.jpg

-- Jay Beattie.

I often ride down to Paris Ontario, Canada. In Cambridge, Canada there's a nice rail-trail that's so crowded on weekends in summer that i take the adjacent paved road instead. Dog walkers with dogs on long retractable leashes that the dog has pulled out to the maximum length are a real hazard as are the clueless people walking hither and thither along the trail whilst wearing earbuds so they can't hear anything else. It must be nice to live in an area where one can ride trails safely.

Cheers

No MUP is ideal, and we have homeless and all that brings -- but all in all, it beats being on the road in some places, and in fact, the Springwater Corridor, being a former railroad grade, skips some nuisance hills that suck bigly on dead legs coming home from the Gorge. On the way to Mt. Hood, you also skip one section of hills that is on a no-shoulder rural highway with 55mph speed limit and 60mph actual. Out in Boring, Oregon -- yes, that's the name of the town. https://www.clackamas.us/sites/defau...ation_hero.jpg I go through Boring to go skiing and riding in les montagnes. This is me catching some sick air on Mt. Hood. http://www.skibowl.com/summer/sites/...Park-00372.jpg Uh, huh . . . that's right.

-- Jay Beattie.

There's less than ideal and then there's downright annoying or even dangerous MUPs. The rail-trail from Cambridge Ontario, Canada runs down to Hamilton Canada. During the week or on weekends when it's raining or threatening to rain that rail-trail isn't too bad with long stretches where you see no one at all. One the weekends in summer it's like the 401 hwy during rush hour. Casual bicyclists, pedestrians, runners, dog walkers with dogs on long leashes and sometimes to make life even more interesting wannabe racer bicyclists who don't know the meaning of either yield or slow down. I'll take the road with its hills and such over the rail-trail then t hank you very much. Oh, I forgot to mention the canoeists and kayakers who'll carry their boats and meander accross the trail on their way to the boat launches.

Cheers