Old June 30th 19, 07:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
jOHN b.

Default AG: My first batch of switchel

On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 00:25:30 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I just remembered that boiling vinegar with the starch is for when I
use flour, not for starch that I strain out.

I distinctly remember writing down the recipe, but I've forgotten
which diary it was in. My training log is the only logical one, but
it's not there.

I'll try a fluid ounce of flour in a British pint of water.

PBL's bread-and-butter syrup:

Fix enough vinegar and sugar equal parts to cover — approximately
a cup and a half of each. Add celery seed, mustard seed, curry
powder, turmeric, bay leaf, a snort (1/10 tsp) of cayenne pepper
or a fresh red pepper (hot).

When I was a little kid my maternal grandmother used to make a drink
from vinegar, honey and water. I can't for the life of me remember
what she called it but any time any of the grand kids showed up she'd
make up a batch, put it in the "ice box", and we could drink all we
wanted :-)
--
cheers,

John B.