View Single Post
Old July 23rd 18, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

Default question about climbing

On 7/22/2018 5:43 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, July 22, 2018 at 11:33:16 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I live in the flatlands and not a great climber but pretty solid rider. I have done some climbs according to various categories that are 3 and 4 rated. I got them ok on a 34-28 but not just easy. So I see the Alpe D'Huez and the rating plus going up 8 % for over 8 miles seems a bit much for me to comprehend.

Do most mortals who do the Alpe D"Huez go up without stopping during the climb? One climb I do is overall about 6% and it goes on for 1.2 miles. The very last section gets to 9% or about maybe 1/4 mile. I tell you I can get up no problem but I just cannot see keep that up for another 7 miles. I am pretty spent the last 200 feet.

So I assume those climbing these on tours and such are pretty decent cyclist but what gearing. Would a 34-32 really make it that much easier to manage than say a 34-28 that I use now. They say sitting is the best way to climb but I guess I just do not do enough of it to really tell. I do know that when I am around more hilly terrain after a few days I get better at climbing.

Does the average cyclist planning to climb something like the Alpe D Huez factor in a break of a few minutes at some point or points. Any climbing experts in this group.

Your question is like "what is the best flavor ice cream?" Lou's group expects to continue riding -- but that's not everybody. Plenty of people will stop on the Stelvio or Alp d'Huez or whatever. It all depends on ability, and there really is no "average." You're fit and will figure it out after making some mistakes. It's not like you'll lose a pro contract if you have to stop.

I've never climbed the Alp d'Huez, but I've done lots of longer climbs domestically. It's just grind, grind, grind -- letting off before I blow, and not trying to ride someone else's pace -- which is the difference between riding and racing. It doesn't matter if you lose time on the climb. If you're going to be riding sustained climbs with grades above 12%, get a 32t cassette just in case and a compact 34/50. Take plenty of water and/or your favorite magical potion beverage. Sitting and spinning conserves energy. Ride like Lou's countryman, Tom Dumoulin -- consistent pace and not responding to every surge. I'd say spin like Froome, but man, he really spins -- and then you'd have to stick your elbows out. and Thomas is going to kick his ass (if allowed).

-- Jay Beattie.

The most important advice is to get off your bike and snap a
photo at the top:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/sergmar2.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home