Old July 24th 04, 07:32 PM
Martin 'MSeries' Newstead

Default Why no Ethnic Riders in Tour de France?

dannyfrankszzz wrote:
I was just wondering about this. How come there are no riders in the
Tour de France who are from a non-European ethnic background?

I thought that there were Japanese riders and some other Asian riders
who could make the cut.

Just wondering......

I think it stems from the fact that few young people with Asian or
Afro-Caribean background ride bikes as a serious pass-time. Here in West
Yorkshire there is a large Asian population yet I can't recall seeing any
Asians riding bikes (apart from bombing around cities on BMXs and MTBs). I
think its because ethnic groups don't ride bikes for sport as much as
whites - therefore since the chance for any cyclist actually being good
enough to get a ride in the TdF is small, for a minority group it is very,
very small indeed.