Old August 30th 15, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Danger! Danger!

On 8/27/2015 10:41 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

I stopped at a garage sale on the way to the tomato festival,

Ah. Some friends and I provided music for a tomato festival today.

and I
filled up my cooler at the festival, so when I stopped at Aldi's on
the way home, I had to take some back-up bungees out of storage to get
all my groceries attached.

After everything was battened down, I noticed a tag fluttering from
one of the new bungees and ripped it off.

It reads:

---------------------

Stretch cord carefully. Uncontrolled release can cause severe injury
to unprotected body parts, particularly eyes.

Maximum stretch-length 50% of unstretched cord. Overstretching cord
can cause hook failure, resulting in sudden, uncontrolled release.
Wear safety glasses when attaching and releasing.

---------------------

Man, I don't even *own* a pair of safety glasses! What a daredevil
I've been all these years.

Note that it never mentioned the danger in failing to attach all
hooks. A dangling bungee can catch in your spokes, which will wreck
the bungee, wreck the wheel, or send you over the handlebars.

FWIW: When my wife, daughter and I rode coast to coast some years back,
we had only two minor injuries, IIRC. Both were my daughter's.

One was a bungee cord injury. As she was stretching one to tie down her
sleeping bag, it slipped and hit her in the lip. She had a nice big
bubble in her lip for several days afterwards.

So I agree with the first three words of the sticker. The next sentence
is true, in the sense that bungees are one of a million things that CAN
cause severe injury. The rest is overkill.

--
- Frank Krygowski