Old September 12th 03, 10:33 PM
Harris

Default Riding a century

"Bob M" wrote:

How far do people generally ride before riding a century? I ask because

my
ride this Sunday is 100km, but I can also ride 100 miles. I'm thinking of
riding the 100 miles instead of the 100km. My long rides have been 55
miles (last week), 50 miles (the week before), 45 miles (two weeks ago)...
I only ride about 4 days a week, the other 3 days being about 20 miles a
day. Is this enough riding to ride 100 miles?

You might be able to complete it, but I doubt you would enjoy it. How did
you feel at the end of the 50 miler? Could you have done it again when you
got to the end?

Generally, you want to do several rides of 50 miles, and at least one
around 75-80 miles before attempting a century.

It seems to me that 100k (62 miles) would be the perfect ride for you at
this point. Then maybe 75 miles the following weekend, and THEN 100 miles
the weekend after that.

Good luck,
Art Harris