Old September 15th 03, 11:35 PM
mark freedman

Default Which frame is built better, new or 20 year old Trek 520?

"Michael" wrote in message ...

I know Trek has kept the 520 frame pretty much the same

You may be able to compare the geometry - I recall some
older Trek brochures online, geometry might be one of the
elements included.

OTTOMH

They went to a lugless welded frame, and adapted a
slightly sloping top tube (I believe the original was
lugged with a horizontal top tube).

The newer models use threadless headsets. google groups
for discussions of the pros and cons. IMO They're ugly, and
if the steerer tube is cut short you may need an extender or
upriser stem to raise the bars. But they have advantages as well.

I believe they tried several different types of brakes.
You may want to check whether the new model has canti's
or mini-v's or whatever.

The new model has Shimano 105 crankset with 30-42-52
chainrings and an 11-32 LX 9 speed cassette. At one time,
touring bikes had smaller chainrings e.g. 26-36-46
(older RSX).

which is the better built frame

google groups for discussions of welded versus lugged
and sloping versus horizontal top tube, and threaded
versus threadless headset.

I have mentioned some other differences above.

You may have to have the rear triangle cold set
(spread and aligned) if the hub is wider. You may have
a freewheel, versus a freehub. I believe the latter
has better support for the axle. www.sheldonbrown.com
discusses such matters in depth.

OTTOMH If you can afford the $1000, you might as
well test ride the new 520, and buy it if you like it.

Sell the old one, or keep it as is for back-up. Spread over
20 years, that's only $50/year.

, my
a few hundred dollars to do the upgrades

I infer that you want freehub, 9 speed, indexed
shifting. Not clear what other components you'd change.
Don't know what kind of brakes you have now.

Are you doing the work yourself ?

Assuming that everything is in good condition,
you'd have to cold set the rear triangle, buy a new
rear wheel with freehub and 9-speed cassette, new chain,
probably a new rear derailleur, possibly new shifters.
Not sure your chainrings work with a 9-speed chain. They
may be worn, and also need replacing.

to get some of the components out of the 80's

I am a heavy rider and my Trek does well for me.

I test rode one 5 years ago and found it stable and
comfortable. You're preaching to the choir :-)

hth