Old October 1st 18, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

Default Continental Ultra Sport tires

On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 20:54:54 -0500,
AMuzi wrote:
On 9/30/2018 7:59 PM, Theodore Heise wrote:

...I noticed that a line on the tire was spaced about 2 mm
from the rim most of the way around, but right at the rim in a
place (or two?).

My conclusion is that the tire is enough too small that the
bead is pulled inward and doesn't completely seat in those
areas. I tried bouncing the wheel, and even smacking the
sidewall against the top of my workbench, but could not
convince it to pop out into place.

So the rim strip was a minor factor, but I think the basic
problem is mismatch between tire and rim
diameter/circumference.

Could be.

Did you use any lubricant for tire mounting? Just as car/truck
tires are seated using soapy water (or branded similar 'tire
seat' fluids) a schpritz of spray wax can often help here. Spin
rim in midair, spray it, mount tire.

Also you can pull up a tire from a low spot to a satisfying
'pop' as it seats. Bouncing a wheel won't move anything.

I had a follow-up question on this suggestion to "pull up" the
tire. How is this done?

I attempted something like this (I think) by whacking the inflated
tire sideways onto my workbench (as mentioned above). More
specifically, I did this by holding the wheel at the 7 and 5
o'clock positions with each hand just above the workbench top, and
swinging the 12:00 position of the wheel downward so the tire
sidewall made contact with the benchtop.

Maybe I need a different approach, or to do this with the tire
only partially inflated?

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA