Old September 21st 14, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...
[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

Road cycling has been around from the beginning. It is not
something anyone can do much about. The solution is to separate cyclists from
motorists. Bike paths are the answer, although they can sometimes create other
kinds of difficulties. My argument is all about the precise mechanism of injury
and death. I am not arguing that road cycling is safer than mountain
biking. Nice try though! However, I am arguing that hiking is about a thousand
times safer than mountain biking.

Ed, you seem incapable of following a coherent train of thought.

In response to my statement ... "I would far rather ride a trail than a road. It's safer, the scenery is better, the air is cleaner and I am out enjoying nature."

you wrote

"It is more dangerous, there is plenty of scenery available on roads, the

air is the same everywhere and you are NOT enjoying nature ... you are
desecrating nature. Find another arena for your sport of mountain
biking."

So, yes, you most certainly DID try and claim that road cycling was safer than mountainbiking a trail. Which, as you well know, is NOT the case. Do you want to just debate yourself with your various contrary positions ?

For heaven’s sakes, almost all cyclists will be riding on roads. To compare the two modes misses the mark. The only point I am making is that biking on trails is dangerous whereas hiking on trails is not. The other point is that biking on trails is stupid because of the nature of the accidents. Getting hit by a motorist on the road is not quite the same thing as getting by an obstacle in the trail and taking a tumble which can easily leave you paralyzed or dead.

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain biking!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great