Old February 6th 07, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

Default saddle rot - fatal?

in message , Ian Smith
') wrote:

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007, bugbear wrote:
Ian Smith wrote:
I'd dry it very slowly, then work lots of proofhide in, then hope...

How slowly is "very"; I've just bought it indoors.
(i.e. no hairdryers or radiators are involved)

Yes, I'd just bring it indoors, then put it somewhere away from
radiators, boilers, fires, hot water cylinders and the like.

But I'm only speculating on what I'd do, or what I do for saturated
boots - I don't actually know how a saddle will take it.

I've had a forty-something year old saddle in this sort of condition. It
never polished back up to glossy, but it became quite usable. I would
advise drying it out in a cool room - not even a centrally heated one. You
really want to give it plenty of time for the water to wick and evaporate
out gently.