Old December 1st 06, 09:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Default Are two bicycles necessary?

DougC wrote:

The front tire should have /at/ /least/ the same contact patch are as
the rear, /if/ /not/ /more/.

Why?

I've never worried about this on any bike I've ever had, and I don't
recall ever suffering as a result, so it comes over as rather more
grounded in theory than practice.

I don't see why the front tyre needs calibrating to the rear. It
doesn't know what pressure the rear is running at or what the contact
patch is: shirley whether it will skid or not is down to absolutes, not
values relative to the back?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK