Old December 1st 06, 10:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

Default Are two bicycles necessary?

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
DougC wrote:

The front tire should have /at/ /least/ the same contact patch are as the
rear, /if/ /not/ /more/.

Why?

I've never worried about this on any bike I've ever had, and I don't
recall ever suffering as a result, so it comes over as rather more
grounded in theory than practice.

I don't see why the front tyre needs calibrating to the rear. It doesn't
know what pressure the rear is running at or what the contact patch is:
shirley [surely] whether it will skid or not is down to absolutes, not
values relative to the back?

Pete.

Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Good thinking Pete! Did you learn how to think like this in medical school I
wonder? Too bad you know as little about bicycle physics as you do about
medical physics - whatever the hell that is!

However, it is always good to hear from the peanut gallery. How else would
we ever learn how a screwball Medical Physics IT Officer thinks. And from
Ninewells Hospital too!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka