Old August 23rd 04, 06:12 PM
Ambrose Nankivell

(iarocu) writes:

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message . ..
On 22 Aug 2004 10:31:16 -0700,
(iarocu) wrote in
message :

I find that stat hard to believe. UK deaths in the first world war
alone were 703,000 according to

Since the USA averages over 40,000 deaths annually even now, it would
not take long to reach 700,000 - and most nations have seen an
exponential decline in road fatality rates since the 1950s.

I quoted UK figures. Talking worlwide figures I still think war deaths
will outnumber RTAs.
http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstat1.htm#Second

gives a total of approx 50 million deaths for the second world war and
15 million for WW2. I don't believe RTAs worldwide would get anywhere
near that.

According to the World Service, road deaths are 2 million annually.

I guess war deaths are slightly bigger.

In terms of people on usenet, the risk is almost definitely many times
higher of a road death, though.