Old August 23rd 04, 07:01 PM
Gawnsoft

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:31:29 +0100, "dwb"
wrote (more or less):

Gawnsoft wrote:

okay - as is the answer "to drive slower"

But as pointed out, they don't always work, so what I'm trying to
argue is that if we legislate against one, should we not (to varying
degrees granted) legislate against the other?

Why? Typical cycle speeds are /already/ severely limited by the power
limits on the 'engine'.

But those typical speeds are still more than capable of causing death or
injury.

As long as you count grazed knees as 'death or injury'.

If everyone who drove a car got on a bicycle, do you think the accidents
would disappear?

You mean, do I think that the fatality and serious injury rate would
dwindle down to a fraction of its current level?

Then yes, I do.

And there are already statutory limits on motor assistance for pedal
bikes, both for power output and for speed (15mph).

Lots of occasions where 15mph might be inappropriate.

Of course, many fewer than where 30mph, 40mph, 60mph 70mph or a
grossly illegal speed might be inappropriate.

--
Cheers,
Euan