Old August 14th 05, 08:11 PM
maxo

Default Chainline Questions for fixie conversion project...

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:22:32 -0700, Ravi wrote:

Now, the question is after i do this - meaning after mathematically
proving that chainline is straight, is there something else i need to do ?

make sure it's really straight by using your eyeballs and a straightedge
along the outside of the chainring. Pedaling and listening is always good.
Quiet? Good.

If i go to a shop to do this will

they be doing anything different or
extra ?

They'll break out the lazer chain sighting helmet and kevlar cog alignment
spanners, but after that it's pretty much the same

:P

Since i am a rookie in

terms of wheel building, i am planning to start
out with a BMX freewheel (singlespeed) and then swap it out and put on a
track cog. is this is a good way to go by ?? I am using a single sided
hub.

Good idea imho. I ride a freewheeling single--and though I'd love to have
a dedicated fixie---the practicality of the fw is excellent. It's nice to
be able to coast down hills at mile 30 when you're getting a bit winded.
Try both--cogs are cheap.