Old October 30th 05, 05:08 PM
Tony Raven

Default advisor wanted

wrote:
On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 12:43:01 +0100, Peter Clinch
wrote:

But it isn't "misguided advice", it is reporting the simple truth
that population data does not show any noticable improvement in
head injury rates with increased helmet wearing. That that *fact*
runs counter to "common sense" doesn't make it wrong.

It is misguided because it concerns only "serious" accidents and I'm
betting you agree that far more less than "serious" accidents happen
than serious. Where are the stats for those, the ones that without a
helmet might have called for an ER visit and stitching?

Put -'em up if you gottem, but I'm lookin' forward to your sounds of
silence.

I'll put them up for Pete if I may.

Do you know the definitions of a "serious" injury? In most countries
your "ER visit and stitching" would be counted as serious in the
official definitions.

In the US, in 1991 18% of cyclists wore helmets. There were 568,000
cyclist accidents requiring hospital treatment. 12% were head injuries.
By 2000, 30% of cyclists wore helmets. There were 627,160 cyclist
accidents. 12% were head injuries. So whatever all those extra helmets
were doing they were not reducing head injuries.

In the UK the proportion of female under-16 cyclists wearing helmets is
double that of males. The proportion female under 16 cyclists suffering
head injuries is virtually identical to that of males. So whatever all
those extra helmets are doing for the girls, they are not protecting
them from head injuries.

The country with the lowest head injury rate for cyclists is Holland.
They also have the lowest helmet wearing rate in the developed world at
0.1%. Curiously the USA is the reverse with six times the death rate per
km cycled and a 38% helmet wearing rate.

In Australia where helmets are mandatory and enforced, one state has
repealed the helmet law. That state now has the highest cycling rate
and lowest head injury rate in Australia.

Starting to see a pattern?

Whatever common sense is telling you about the protective effect of
helmets, experience around the world says its wrong.

--
Tony

Anon