Old May 7th 08, 08:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default RBM-What the hell happened to our newsgroup?

On May 5, 5:42*pm, wrote:
catzz66 wrote:

I'm an internet bar user so I'm basically stuck with google groups and
I've basially given up trying to dig the good stuff out from under the
spam. *Posted a recent mass chaos and confusion article here for old
times sake but I can't barely stand to try to read the group which is
a shame cause I remember there being good stuff in here.

I feel sorry for Marion and other legitimate posters who have to use GG.
* I'd be frustrated too. *With a news agent and a fairly decent news
reader, you can keep from seeing most of the garbage posts and spam. *It
is not just rbm that is getting hit. *I look at a couple others. *It
seems like every group I look at has spam and its share of mutts who
post garbage or other mutts who can't pass up replying to them. *With a
little regular maintenance on your filters, you can avoid most of it.

* *I'm inclined to suggest something that has worked fairly well in other
groups. *How 'bout we begin the subject line of every legitimate thread
with the letters RBM? *That would distinguish the real stuff from the spam
and crossposters. *Anyone with a search feature could find it with
relative ease.

Bill

* *__o * | *You never know what is enough
*_`\(,_ *| until you know what is too much.
(_)/ (_) | * * * * * * * * --William Blake

There is no bulletproof solution to spam. I am a network
administrator. One of my guys spends a lot of time configuring our
corporate gateway to block spam and viruses, but never EVER block
legit email. It is like dancing on a knife edge.

J.