Old December 5th 17, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default AG: Salutatory fear

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 7:09:10 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/3/2017 5:26 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

Back in the eighties, I took a Youth Hostel tour of southern England.
After we'd been there a couple of weeks, I skillfully executed a
perfect left turn -- and found myself on the opposite side of the road
from my companions.

I had stopped being nervous about riding on the "wrong" side of the
road.

I pulled the same boner in 1972 on the same sort of tour.

I had the same experience, but driving a car. Far scarier.

It was a business trip, and my colleague had promised he would drive
back to the hotel from the pub, since I'd been doing all of the driving
till then. But he lost his nerve when it was time to leave and made me
drive. I'd had two beers, and perhaps that was the reason for my mistake.

I corrected immediately, of course, but I shudder to think of the
consequences if there had been traffic.

I served in Cyprus for seven months and returned to Canada. I took my car out of storage and was driving back to base. It all went well until my first left turn. I saw a vehicle coming straight at me and thought, "Look at that silly ass, he's in the wrong lane." I flashed my lights at him. Then it dawned on me, "I'm the silly ass." Fortunately, the revelation came while the other vehicle was still several hundred metres away.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO