Old January 22nd 17, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: I charged a winter hill

"Never charge a winter hill."

But it isn't exactly winter out there -- the high was fifty-six F, and
I got my silk shirt sweaty.

And McKinley Street isn't exactly a hill; it climbs the edge of the
depression in which Winona Lake sits, so there isn't any other side.

I have come to realize that I need to practice riding faster, but on a
short excursion entirely on city streets, there would be no
opportunity to shift onto the big ring. Then as I was wending my
usual relaxed, leisurely way up McKinley Street: here's your chance!
You don't need the big ring, just shift out of granny!

I never got to actually standing on the pedals, but it established the
principle. On the return trip, I also charged the slight upslope
where Park Avenue crosses Cherry Creek.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net