Old March 19th 17, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default More About Lights

On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 2:06:24 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I don't know about you people butt... When I'm stopped at an intersection at night I like to have a light shining forward as well as a rear red light so that vehicles approaching me and turning can see there is something in front of them. Ditto for when just staarting from a stop and not yet up to soeed. that seems to be a time when there are a lot of cars that will turn infront of a bicyclist because the driver didn't see the bicyclist. A bicyclist can also be hidden from an approaching and or approaching and turning driver, by the headlights of a car or truck behind the bicyclist. You guys can go ahead and play Russian Roulette with cars at intersections at night because you have no working light giving forthlight from your bicycle there. I'll keep my light ON at those intersections so that other road users can see a bicycle is there.

Cheers

Yes, that's extremely important.

One intersection I go through several times a week https://goo.gl/maps/uUrDJjyYMeM2 has most of the opposing traffic turning left. Without a good light, invariably they will turn directly in front of a bicycle going straight across, but if the cyclist has a light they will invariably yield the right of way.

The cross street is six lanes, plus two left turn lanes, plus two bicycle lanes, plus a median. So a poor light is unlikely to get the vehicles' on the other side's attention. It's especially necessary to have a good light if you plan your approach as the light is turning green so you don't have to stop pr slow down.

Those that rail against proper bicycle lighting have the mindset that it's not necessary because the cyclists can instead take evasive action, and constantly be yielding to vehicles that can't see them even when the cyclist has the right-of-way.

If we are going to advocate for "transportational cycling" then we should be exerting our rights to the road, but if vehicles aren't aware of our presence that's hard to do, and it's getting harder with so much distracted driving.

I'm glad that the Odense study proved the value of daytime flashing lights. It's a good step forward in convincing those that oppose cyclists making themselves visible that in fact conspicuousness is a good idea. Of course those that oppose conspicuousness will try to find ways to attack the study, just as they try to attack helmet studies.

Too bad the bank isn't open today. I have a stack of checks from the manufacturers of good bicycle lights that I have to deposit.