Old March 11th 17, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default More About Lights

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 17:30:57 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

So how duz it cost to build one dynamo wheel and headlight?
Prices are my guess(tm) based on experience and random googling.

Shimano Nexus series hubs can be found for about $70.
Wheelsmith spokes are about $0.50/ea or 26 for $18.

Typo. That should be 36 spokes for $18.

Generic rim for $35.
Tire, tube, and rim tape for $20.
B&M Lumotec LUXOS B for $64.
Wiring for free.
====================================
total = $207

While $207 is not cheap, it's much less than your $500 estimate.

Low price but no actual German electrons. You call that a
fashion statement?

Well, Japanese and German electrons should be compatible. However,
the cost of the SON hub needed to produce genuine German electrons is
well over $200. That brings the cost of the wheel to $337. The
prices I picked out of thin air are the cheapest that I could find new
from vendors that sell component parts. I specifically did not use
Banggood and AliExpress to avoid counterfeits and junk. Modifying an
existing front wheel would save $55 for the rim, tire, and tube. Even
running on Japanese electrons, it's still a rather expensive solution
compared to a battery powered headlight and goes a long way to explain
why battery powered lights are more common.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D