Old December 6th 17, 02:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On 12/6/2017 12:42 AM, wrote:

snip

Barry manufactures the Oculus light, a very nice battery powered,
self-contained, 1800 lumen battery powered light, and now there is a
3000 lumen model. Very well designed beam that doesn't suffer from the
limitations of most dynamo lights.

but still is a battery powered light with the drawback of their limited running time which is the main reason for the people using dynamo lights not to chose for that option.

Yes. The trade-off needs to be made. I'm sure we'd all run out and buy a
dynamo light if it was possible to build one that was adequate for the
riding conditions we experience. Unfortunately it isn't yet possible to
build such a dynamo light. I have several dynamo-equipped bicycles, and
even the one with a top-of-the-line dynamo light requires a battery
powered light as well for many situations.

I had suggested to Barry that he add a dynamo charging input, as an
option, to his light that would enable it to be partially charged by a
dynamo, and be operated at lower power, solely from the dynamo, even
when the battery is discharged. This would eliminate the need for those
that want the longer running time, albeit at lower power, to have two
lights.