Old December 11th 17, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 12:30:16 +0100, Sepp Ruf
wrote:

John B. wrote:
On Sat, 09 Dec 2017 19:41:16 -0600, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Sat, 9 Dec 2017 10:34:13 +0100, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Because you generally want to shield from a flattish \ line of
approaching lights, but not shield your view to the sides, the flatter
brims work better.

We're talking about cycling caps, not baseball caps. A cycling cap
bill's curve would shade the center of the field of view while allowing
peripheral vision.

True. Just use what works best for you, short of Yehuda Moon style. Our
beloved champions aren't strict either, at least after a bad (styrofoam)
hair day:
https://ekz-crosstour.ch/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/RSP_1321-1024x682.jpg

Just like the curved cutoff in the awful OculuStvzo engineering sample
doesn't work...

There's no equivalence between the shape of the brim and the shape of
the cutoff. The cutoff is designed to manage outgoing light, keeping it
where it is useful and not shining it where it is not.

Not functionally equivalent, of course. You did see the video he linked?
There are only two choices with a reversed crescent cutoff: Either aim it
low enough that it does not glare directly opposing traffic, or aim it high
enough to keep the 90 and 270 degree fields of vision for fast curves.

black-tinted rear window; auto-dimming mirrors; manure-spreading trailer.

I have an auto-dimming mirror in my new car. It verges on useless as it
does not dim anywhere near enough. I'd rather have a manual mirror so
that I don't have to reach up and point the damned mirror at the ceiling
so that I'm not blinded by the vehicle behind me.

My wife's small Honda has a manual tab on the bottom of the mirror.
Flick it with your finger and the "guy behind"'s lights are focused on
the ceiling :-)

Still leaves the side mirrors vulnerable. Okay, so the trailer will need to
be wide enough to block the view, but not as wide as to require the mounting
of extra side mirrors on the Honda.

I'm not sure about side mirrors. I have them on my pickup and my
wife's little Honda has them But I don't remember ever having a
problem with them.

--
Cheers,

John B.