Old December 11th 17, 07:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights

Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 2:34:34 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
https://www.bike24.com/p2144878.html

--
JS

Biased? Its hard to be impartial all the time, but I do work on not drinking my own KoolAid, at least not too much.
Everything in my lights is my own design and final assembly.
Circuit boards are assembled in Scott's Valley from bare boards made in Illinois. The collimator is a standard part number, but from a custom run made by the manufacturer with tighter specs and tolerances than their standard part. The LEDs on the 1800Ultra are from a special kit code Cree's west coast rep got arranged for me. The 3000Extreme LEDs, so far, are from a specific reel that DigiKey has after I ordered from a few reels to see what variation there would be within a wider color temperature range, then picking what one particular trusted long term tester liked best.
The generator vs battery debate, like schrader vs presta, tubular vs clincher, has no best solution for all riders. My extended battery life in a self contained unit lighting the road better then other lights for a given burn time does give options that only generator lights could have solved before.

Note, generators can be used with Oculus.
Oculus has input holes on the main board labelled for external power inputs.. You can connect a power converter giving 3.0 - 4.2VDC into these holes. Oculus will warranty such usage. But AC pops the circuit quicker than you can say "blackout".
Oculus also works in a hybrid battery + generator mode.
Do this with a common generator to USB 5.0 - 5.1VDC output plugged into the charging jack, and run the light nearly endlessly at the third brightness, while also keeping the battery charged for when you need or want the higher brightness. Use the USB charging adapter cord listed on the Oculus website, or equivalent part sold by many electronics outlets.