Old May 16th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default any downside to Wippermann Connex link?

On May 16, 10:34 am, Andre Jute wrote:
On May 16, 2:56 pm, Bob Ross wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
there any downside to these gizmos?

I have a Wipperman link but it's on a new, as yet unfitted chain. My
SRAM quick-disconnect links have so far lasted 3200km on one bike and
2200km on another bike, in each case on the original chain. The chains
are in full crankcases...

... For perspective, my open chains last about a thousand miles
and a bit, say not quite up to 2000km, and the SRAM quick links on
those have always seen the chain out.

I'm definitely a convert to the benefits of fully enclosed crankcases.

Does that have a derailer inside?