Old May 16th 08, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default any downside to Wippermann Connex link?

On May 16, 6:44*pm, Dan O wrote:
On May 16, 10:34 am, Andre Jute wrote:

On May 16, 2:56 pm, Bob Ross wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a Wippermann Connex (or equivalent quick-
disconnect link) to make cleaning my chain & drivetrain easier. Is
there any downside to these gizmos?

I have a Wipperman link but it's on a new, as yet unfitted chain. My
SRAM quick-disconnect links have so far lasted 3200km on one bike and
2200km on another bike, in each case on the original chain. The chains
are in full crankcases...
... For perspective, my open chains last about a thousand miles
and a bit, say not quite up to 2000km, and the SRAM quick links on
those have always seen the chain out.

I'm definitely a convert to the benefits of fully enclosed crankcases.

Does that have a derailer inside?

No. These are singlespeed/8speed chains. The gearboxes are Shimano's
Nexus 8 speed hub gears, zero deraileurs, just a control cable,
mechanical in one case, electronic in the other. There are a lot of
pics of one of the electronically controlled bikes he
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...%20Smover.html
and a pic of the mechanically controlled bike he
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20Bauhaus.html
Enjoy!

I wish now I'd taken a photo of the little balls of wax inside the
crankcase at the end of six months of winter riding, which show either
that White Lightning dry wax is bleeding marvellous or that we should
immediately petition the President to make full chain cases compulsory
for all bikes (to save rising water, high quality oil and energy).

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...%20HUMOUR.html