Old October 19th 17, 03:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default California law about E-bike use for 70 and above?

On 2017-10-18 22:12, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 16:31:11 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Folks,

There was a story in the Wall Street Journal where a Californian rider
said that people 70 and older are now allowed to use E-bikes on MTB
trails. I could not find anything about it elsewhere and a LBS owner
also couldn't. Does anyone know?

It's not for me, I will stay pedal-only. However, some older folks
around here might be helped by it.

This was the story but it likely can only be read by people with a Wall
Street Journals subscription:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/instead...ike-1507374019

Quote "When teenagers tease Bruce Austin for powering up a mountain
trail on his electric mountain bike, his comeback is: "Didn't you hear
California passed a law that people 70 or older can ride an e-bike?""

https://www.electricbike.com/california-ebike-laws/
https://electricbikereport.com/the-n...ountain-bikes/
http://peopleforbikes.org/blog/new-e...in-california/

I had found those but none talks about that age 70 limit and trail use.
Trail use of motorized bicycles is generally prohibited and can't be
regulated by CVC changes, that would require some "bigger" law.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/