Old July 27th 18, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default question about climbing

On 2018-07-22 11:33, wrote:

[...]

... Any climbing experts in this group.

I am certainly not one. To me climbs are just a necessary evil of
living in a hilly area. It's always a net 1200ft coming back from
the valley with lots of ups and downs in between. Unfortunately it
is not always possible to let'er rip on the downhills to gain
momentum.

You should get a Garmin or ride with someone who has one to see what
the real elevation gain is between Sacto and Cameron Park. Saw-tooth
climbs count extra, probably 50%.

Good idea. This weekend I'll be riding with someone who has one of those
fancy GPS-driven "bicycle computers". Maybe it has grade measurement,
I'll ask him.

I did 1,200 feet of climbing in about three or so miles to get home
after work last night, most of that after stopping at a work shindig
in the lower West Hills.

My 1200ft net is over roughly 10 miles. However, there are several ups
and downs added in, 1200ft is just the altitude difference between the
valley floor and where we are living.

... 16% climb to get to the gathering, then
after leaving, about a 45% climb on stairs to get to a connector
street.
https://tinyurl.com/yc5pukmy And then various grades for the
next few miles and then down to my neighborhood. Climbing advice:
don't sit around eating pizza and beer and gin-and-tonics and then go
climb. That's why I don't get the whole sitting around at pubs thing.
I lose all desire to ride after drinking.

I don't but I know riders who report the same effect on them. In Germany
or Ireland they'd probably pull your man card just for saying that :-)

However, meantime I limit myself to one beer and mostly one of not very
high alcohol content. Not because it would crimp my riding energy but
because I don't want to grow sideways. I am unfortunately "blessed" with
a very energy-efficient body, meaning low metabolism. I can ride and
ride and ride and not lose an ounce. So I usually order a Pilsener if
they have a good one because that's hard to brew at home. Long lagering
times at 45F which at Californian electricity prices gets expensive.
Plus it would clog up valuable space in my fermentation chamber (a
modified wine fridge).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/