Old January 13th 19, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default What is the point of tubeless tires?

On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 11:07:36 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/13/2019 1:58 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Snipped
I'm surprised that those who want to avoid flats don't just use foam filled tires instead of these or other Slime-like concoctions.

Cheers

You could argue about 60g of inner tube vs 60g of goop, and
people do, but I have to assume you have never ridden a foam
or urethane tire.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

You assume correctly. I have no need to use a foam or urethane tire. I can patc my clincher tire or swap a tube pretty quickly but i don't puncture very often - maybe once a year or so.

If punctures weren't so darn hard/time consuming to repair I'd put tubulars back on a couple of my bicycles. I like the ride of them but man what a pain if you puncture two tires on a ride and you only have one spare. If i do get tubulars again I'll make SURE they have removable valve cores so i can put slime or similar in them if I do happen to puncture both tires - again like I did years ago far from home.

Btw, once in desperation, I think it was just last year, I put a tubular tire onto a clincher rim and rode it for a fair number of miles until I could get to a bicycle shop that was open and get another tube.

If the shipping wasn't so darn much I'd order your 3 for $50.00 USD deal of tubulars; maybe even two sets of three.

Cheers